TAM-MY-MUSIC, MY-LIFE

"A melody is like seeing someone for the first time, the physical attraction, sex...but then, as you get to know the person, that's the lyrics, they're story, who they are underneath. It's the combination of the two that makes it magic" - Sophie

Monday, June 27, 2011

THIS SONG DID CHANGE ME FOR GOOD


Kurt and Rachel did a splendid rendition of this song from Wicked, the Musical - "For Good".

I knew I like the song the first time Rachel and Kurt sang the song in the episode "New York" but what happened was that I fell deeper in love with this track after I screened through the lyrics because it is one that is so heart-felt and personal to my life.

But I bet most of you can relate to this song - directly or indirectly.
I am sure that there's one person who you'd think of when you listen to this song - most probably, that person had brought a significant change in you, made a difference to your life, shaped your beliefs, etc.For me, when I hear this song, I think of all the people around me - mostly the people I love, but also the people I dislike. At the end of the day, this song reminds me that every single person whom I've had the pleasure to meet is destined to meet me for a reason. Whether I like the person or not, their presence in my life is for a reason or reasons. They are 'teachers', 'role models' and they are the 'lessons' to be learned.

I believe that everyone in this world is on this Earth for a reason. Perhaps, they are made significant for someone else. Although you think you are stupid or dumb, you could be someone else's role model for other things.  And I guess (or try to believe) that God will always make us special in our own ways. I can't recall if this is a quote I read somewhere, or if this is just a statement I came out with myself, but I believe that "you might think you are average, but you might be special to someone else" (something that goes along this line).

Personally, I  interpret that there's also the message of 'acceptance' in the lyrics of "For Good". A friend's acceptance of the person you are, and a friend who doesn't mind your weaknesses, but helps mold you to be a better person. 
In  a nutshell, this song reminds me to be grateful because I have people around me who loves me for who I am and cares for me, and these are the people who has shaped who I am, and helping me become a better person. 

If I were to name the names of people who have changed my life, I'd present you with an endless long scroll...

But of course my parents would be on the top of my list because I've known them since birth and the huge part of my life is the way it is because of them and what they've provided me with.

I have a home, I have had a pretty awesome life all because of them...

My colleagues, my boss Stefani...

I would say my current employment has changed and shaped me the most.
My lady boss, has been an inspiration in so many ways and I've learnt so much it's beyond me. Of course there's so much more to learn but the one year journey I've had on the 'green' ship has changed me and helped me grown as I step into the adult world with more responsibility.

In my company, the captains accept me for who I am, but try to bring out the best in me. 
I am most lucky to be able to meet the bunch of people I'm working with currently. There's no doubt about it. And like the song lyrics..."I believe I've been changed for the better"....although I still could work on the edges haha.

And to all my closest bestest buddies in the world King Kong, Jessie....my pillars of strength and listeners of my ridiculous requests and tormenting vents.

They are the people who practically know me inside (not literally) and out....
I really don't feel the need to fake it when I'm with them.
In fact, I believe King Kong is the one who has seen the ugliest side of me and still accepts me.....

I think she probably might be able to mind read me soon and sometimes, it freaks me out because I think she actually knows what I'm thinking. 


These girls are like my big sisters whom I try to model (although, barely successfully)
Both of them are in my life for a reason and really, in some ways, I think I'd be most sad to lose them as friends.

So, I'd take this chance to dedicate this song to my parents, my colleagues, bosses, and my two bestest buddies because all of you I've been changed "For Good".

And to those whom I really despise, I dedicate this song to you to because you've helped me learn who I DO NOT WANT TO BE. 



(Elphaba): 
I'm limited Just look at me - I'm limited And just look at you
You can do all I couldn't do, 
Glinda So now it's up to you
For both of us
Now it's up to you...

(Glinda):
I've heard it said
That people come into our lives for a reason 
Bringing something we must learn
And we are led 
To those who help us most to grow
If we let them 
And we help them in return
Well, I don't know if I believe that's true
 But I know I'm who I am today Because I knew you... 

Like a comet pulled from orbit 
As it passes a sun
 Like a stream that meets a boulder 
Halfway through the wood
Who can say if I've been changed for the better?
But because I knew you I have been changed for good 

(Elphaba): 
It well may be 
That we will never meet again 
In this lifetime 
So let me say before we part 
So much of me Is made from what I learned from you 
You'll be with me
Like a handprint on my heart 
And now whatever way our stories end
I know you have re-written mine
By being my friend... 


Like a ship blown from its mooring 
By a wind off the sea
Like a seed dropped by a skybird 
In a distant wood
Who can say if I've been changed for the better
But because I knew you 


(Glinda): 
Because I knew you 


(Both): 
I have been changed for good 


(Elphaba): 
And just to clear the air 
I ask forgiveness 
For the things I've done you blame me for 


(Glinda): 
But then, I guess we know 
There's blame to share


(Both): 
And none of it seems to matter anymore 

(Glinda):
Like a comet pulled from orbit 
As it passes a sun
 Like a stream that meets a boulder 
Halfway through the wood

(Elphaba):
Like a ship blown from its mooring 
By a wind off the sea
Like a seed dropped by a skybird 
In a distant wood

(Both): 
Who can say if I've been Changed for the better? 
I do believe I have been Changed for the better 

(Glinda): 
And because I knew you...

(Elphaba): 
Because I knew you... 

(Both): 
Because I knew you... I have been changed for good..

With Lotsa Love,
TammyC

No comments:

Post a Comment