TAM-MY-MUSIC, MY-LIFE

"A melody is like seeing someone for the first time, the physical attraction, sex...but then, as you get to know the person, that's the lyrics, they're story, who they are underneath. It's the combination of the two that makes it magic" - Sophie

Saturday, June 26, 2010

THE KING

Since everyone feels that there's a need to celebrate the life of Micheal Jackson, I guess I should also do a little tribute to the King himself.

He left us on 25 June 2009 and on the 25th of June 2010, we find most Malaysian English radio stations playing MJ's songs for 24 hours. Seriously, do you know the consequences of doing this? You'll actually make people sick of MJ's songs man!

I was on Hitz and I hear "You Are Not Alone", and then I went to FlyFM, and it was their turn to play the song, and I was so desperate that I tuned into MixFM as well, and "You Are Not Alone" was playing again! I know I'm not alone but seriously, 3 times listening to this song makes me rather be alone. 

I am not denying the fact that MJ is a legend - his moonwalk, his "yeee-heee", his turning from black to white...all these made him unique and the one and only MJ. So we do need to pay a tribute to him on this day, but personally, I feel there are many ways of doing so than just bombarding the airwaves with MJ's tracks. 


Last year at this time, I remember sitting at Atlantic Point's common room with my housemates, and they were drinking beer when this news was on. It was definitely one shocking news for us. And that time, there were also many tributes to MJ and some TV channels featured 1-hour MJ special programming by playing videos of some of his best songs. That time, it wasn't that annoying because it was only 60 minutes of MJ and listening to those tracks really brought back memories and we were all enjoying every track. Some channels rolled documentaries on MJ.

The next morning, MJ's "Earth Song" echoed the whole of Atlantic Point (the name of our hostel). Although it was repeating itself, I love the atmosphere the song brought with it. It made me love "Earth Song". Thus, I'd say my favourite MJ song to date is actually "Earth Song".

One very strong and powerful music video too...Very nice...

So in memory of MJ, I think I'll just make a list of the top 5 MJ songs I love...

Number 5 - Billie Jean
Number 4 - Black or White
Number 3 - You Are Not Alone
Number 2 - We Are the World
Number 1 - Earth Song

Most of MJ's contains messages about loving human nature and each other and about equality.
Although at certain point I think MJ has gone cuckoo, but I guess he had a good heart but fame screwed up his sanity. I mean, perhaps I shouldn't judge but from documentaries or feature stories of him that I've watched, some of the things he say is really out of this world. Oh well, perhaps I just don't have the creativity to understand and imagine that the impossible can happen...for example, when MJ quotes that him turning white is a natural process. Hmm....

Okay what AM I DOING?
It is MJ's day and we should be highlighting the good.
I think MJ writes some of the most meaningful and really catchy & fun tracks and that is why his songs are perennial. The opening of "Thriller" can get anyone excited just by listening to the first 2 beats...
His "You Are Not Alone" I believe is one of the most overused songs by guys to woo girls.
His "Black or White" highlights racial discrimination in the world and indirectly telling the world that we are all the same inside, no matter how different we are on the outer layer.

MJ has brought to the music scene something extraordinary (besides love songs that help guys win girls' hearts) and that is how he will be remembered. 

MJ is really a huge lost to the music industry and one that is irreplaceable.

With Lotsa Love
TammyC
Good night....






No comments:

Post a Comment