TAM-MY-MUSIC, MY-LIFE

"A melody is like seeing someone for the first time, the physical attraction, sex...but then, as you get to know the person, that's the lyrics, they're story, who they are underneath. It's the combination of the two that makes it magic" - Sophie

Saturday, January 1, 2011

FINDING MY WAY IN 2011

This is an example of a song in which I just casted aside for no particular reasons, mainly because I generalized most of these songs as the same - sounds great melodically, but with lame lyrics about love and so, I never really bothered to give them a chance.  I guess the fact that we are not very good in Mandarin also fended me from these types of songs - I usually never bothered to listen to the lyrics in particular.

It started off with me teasing my sister for listening to songs like these (all music, no substance) when she played it on her computer. She then told me that this is a very meaningful song. She explained that she too teased her friends during Karaoke session when they sang it, before she realized how meaningful this song is.

Can't help it but give it a listen because to be honest, the song does sound nice melodically. 
Then I realized that my sister is right - the song is really meaningful and inspirational. 
I decided to share this song on the 1st of January 2011, because I think personally, it is a good song to start a new year, the perfect song to greet an older me - a song to push me forward and embrace whatever hardship or challenges that are about to come my way in 2011.  

I guess I suddenly thought of this song as I was driving towards Wangsa Maju yesterday to meet my college friends. It has been more than a year since I went back to the place I had some of the best memories - my college life where I met some of the best friends, whom all I've developed great affection for. I realized how grown up I've became since. I remember being the freshly out of Secondary school 17-year-old, waiting to embrace whatever college has to offer. Then it was a series of learning how to cope with the new environment, new people, new style of studying, basically a whole new life.  

Then 22 brought us all to Liverpool where we embarked on another great life journey. There I found another batch of great friends, whom I shall also treasure for life and whom I will love dearly. Great  and happy moments passed very fast because in a blink of the eye, I found myself thrown into the world of grown-ups, working and making a living. 

There were so many tough times that I've waded through (although compared to many, my 'tough times are really peanuts) and I believe that there'll be more times like that in which I'll feel like not going on anymore. This song is a reminder of the fact that as we grow up, we have to learn to face the challenges ourselves and move on a step at a time. 
It's about discovering yourself as you grow up and mature as a person, about chasing your dreams and finding the path in life that leads you there - thus, a great song to get me motivated for 2011!!!! 

Due to the fact that I'm only about 50% Mandarin literate, I'll try my best to explain this song in English.

My Way by Hins Cheung

Yi zhi zai yun niang, Yi zhi zai pan wang
Baba he mama, wei yi de li xiang
Er yue di yi tian, yi jiu ba yi nian
Wo di yi ci dui ta men zha le zha yan

I was waiting in my mum's womb and I was my parents hope and pride,
February 1st, 1981 was the first time I said "hi" to my parents

Deng dai kuai dian guo qu, duo shao ge ming tian
Xi wang zhe ge bao bei kuai kuai zhang da yi dian yi dian
Shen ti yao jian kang suo you de shi qing dou ru suo yuan
Baby zhang da yi hou jiu shi xiao xuan

My parents waited eagerly everyday 
Wishing that their baby boy will grow up fast and healthily, nothing else mattered
Their son's name is Xiao Xuan 

CHORUS
I will find my way, I want a different way
After the wind and rain,


There'll be a brand new day
Xiao shi hou shou shang you ren xin tong, shi luo you ren an wei
Xian zai yu dao kun nan zi ji jiu yao xue hui mian dui

When you were small, 
There'll always be someone to comfort you when you get hurt 
But now when you meet challenges and difficulties, you will need to learn to face them yourself

I will find my way, I want a different way
Nothing will stop me now, No matter what they say

Kun nan yao yong wo de jian qiang he nu li yong gan mian dui
Xian zai yong xin qu zhui, gan jue jiu dui
I'll find my way

When faced with difficulties, I will need to persevere and work hard to face them myself
I will need to chase and pursue my dreams passionately and follow what my heart says 

Yi zhi jiu zhe yang, zhao wo de fang xiang
So this has how it has been, trying to find my direction
Bu li hui bie ren qi guai de yang guang
I disregard how others viewed me
Zhi dao you yi tian, wo hu ran fa xian
Until one day, I realized that
Meng xiang yi jing zai shi xian,
I'm getting closer to achieving my dreams

Deng dai kuai dian guo qu duo shao ge ming tian
Kan zhe zi ji yi jing man man zhang da yi dian yi dian
Wo de sheng huo ying gai rang wo zi ji xue hui zhang wo
Xiang xin zi ji, bu pa feng yu zai duo

As days passed and I realized that I've grown up little by little,
I should grab hold of the opportunities and decide my own fate,
Believe in myself, no matter what comes my way

REPEAT CHORUS

Ain't the song beautiful?
HAPPY 2011 EVERYONE!!

No comments:

Post a Comment