TAM-MY-MUSIC, MY-LIFE

"A melody is like seeing someone for the first time, the physical attraction, sex...but then, as you get to know the person, that's the lyrics, they're story, who they are underneath. It's the combination of the two that makes it magic" - Sophie

Friday, September 11, 2009

ARE WE MOVING ON YET?

Stereotypes and branding people.
I think that is basically what we normally do. Once you make a mistake, people might forgive you. But sometimes, you are branded forever.

Have you ever been branded or stereotyped for something before? I am always branded as the immature, clumsy, screw up in the family. Everytime something broke or got lost, usually it's because of me - well, at least it is claimed to be me. Also, I'm also seen as the one who is incapable of serious tasks. I mean, I know I'm not perfect but sometimes, don't you hate the fact that people judge you even before you do something.

Honestly, I don't really know how I want people to see me. At home, I'm not exactly trusted with things, most of the times, I'm belittled and looked down upon. For example, my sis and my bro always see me as the immature one, who can't seem to be independent. I hate to be perceive that way, even though in some ways, I admit I might not be as organized and responsible as them. I know some of my friends believe in me, they think that I'm very organized and capable of doing things. I'm really grateful for that, but then again, like I said, I'm really NOT PERFECT. I'm really disorganized and I hate the fact that sometimes, my friends think that I am able to do everything they expect of me and when I don't deliver, I let them down. I think a few days back, I had this argument with a friend because he branded me as disorganized. I mean, I never said that I'm this organized person who stick to schedules and have great time management. I'm always the more spontaneous, go-with-the-flow kinda girl. So that day, I was seriously pissed off so bad with him I shocked most of my friends because they know I don't get so angry that easily. The smile on my face makes me the happy-go-lucky girl who seems to not get angry at any friends.

It was our last day in Liverpool and I was already very moody and sad. My flatmates had decided that we should be eating out, since it was really our last day in Liverpool and they really don't want to be eating Maggi Mee AGAIN. So, great, at the very last moment, we decided to eat out. This last minute notice didn't seem to please that friend of mine. To cut a long story short, I was happily approaching him when suddenly he just blurted at me, telling me what a great planner I am to 'ask' for a dine out at such a last minute. Honestly, I wasn't the one who planned dinner that day but since it was such a disorganized outing, it somehow had to be me who planned it. See the stereotype? I guess it wasn't the first time I get this...maybe the first time from that friend but somehow or rather, I guess I'm use to it. But I was still really angry because he somehow ruined a good memory of my last day in Liverpool. Of course, I feel better because deep down, I know really, it wasn't my fault =D (ego me). Plus, if it's too last minute for him, he can always skip the dinner outing with us, right? Of course, being a Leo, I have an enormous ego...and I refuse to talk to him even after he apologize, I still decide to 'punish' him for another few minutes.

Anyway, why am I talking about all this in my music blog?
Well, because Rascal Flatt's song "I'm Movin' On" is about stereotypes in some ways.
Imagine being a convict, and then not given a chance to redeem yourself. I guess like I say, once you commit a crime, or do something wrong, you are forever seen as the one who would commit the same mistake. That's why some people don't give any chance to these past offenders, sad, but we're humans...we're psychologically that way. Sad but true.

Rascal Flatts, my favourite country music band, that's for sure.


The song is about moving on to a new place, starting afresh because in the past, you've been stereotyped and there is no chance of redemption, even though you regret what you've done previously. People don't give you a chance sometimes, and the best way is to proceed and move on.

I'm Moving On - Rascal Flatts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1bxlDAjGCo

I've dealt with my ghosts and I've faced all my demons
Finally content with a past I regret
I've found you find strength in your moments of weakness
For once I'm at peace with myself
I've been burdened with blame, trapped in the past for too long
I'm movin' on

I've lived in this place and I know all the faces
Each one is different but they're always the same
They mean me no harm but it's time that I face it
They'll never allow me to change
But I never dreamed home would end up where I don't belong
I'm movin' on

I'm movin' on
At last I can see life has been patiently waiting for me
And I know there's no guarantees, but I'm not alone
There comes a time in everyone's life
When all you can see are the years passing by
And I have made up my mind that those days are gone

I sold what I could and packed what I couldn't
Stopped to fill up on my way out of town
I've loved like I should but lived like I shouldn't
I had to lose everything to find out
Maybe forgiveness will find me somewhere down this road
I'm movin' on

I'm movin' on
I'm movin' on



So I guess if compared to some people, I'm really not in such a bad situation myself. I have family and friends who still love and care for me despite my weaknesses and despite the fact that they somehow categorize me as a screw up.

At one point in life, we really need to move on. There is a long road ahead of us and maybe a better future awaits.


The song above has really nice lyrics and beautiful relaxing music. I guess the song highlights the fact that life is always incomprehensible and perplexing and I guess sometimes, especially during bad times, the best way to get over things is by moving on and not looking back. Easy to say...hard to do I know.



Love,
TammyC


No comments:

Post a Comment