TAM-MY-MUSIC, MY-LIFE

"A melody is like seeing someone for the first time, the physical attraction, sex...but then, as you get to know the person, that's the lyrics, they're story, who they are underneath. It's the combination of the two that makes it magic" - Sophie

Monday, October 12, 2009

THE BATTLE BETWEEN CAILLAT & SWIFT

There's no battle really. Both of them are fabulous. Both of them are my favourites.
But I feel that I need to write about both albums.



Most of the time, Taylor and Colbie both writes about love.
However, Taylor's songs carry teenage love-crush themes while Colbie's love songs are more matured.


The hands of love


Personally, I feel that Taylor's lyrics are exceptionally written. All of Taylor's songs are so meaningful and her feelings are aptly orchestrated in the words she use. Maybe because I feel I can relate to more of Taylor's songs. Colbie is good in lyrics too. Colbie's way of writing is deeper, which is cool. For Colbie, I don't feel awed by her lyrical expressions maybe because I cannot relate to her songs yet. Her songs is always about succumbing to love in some ways, like begging a dude to come back to her that sort of thing...it makes you feel vulnerable.

But what captures me about Colbie's new album is the melody of her songs. Most of her songs are so beautiful to the ears. Not to say that Taylor's songs aren't great to the ears though but I think melody wise, I'd have to give it to Colbie.

So basically, Colbie's album is like a HOT HOT guy, who looks amazing physically...well, kind of have a good heart too...

Taylor's album is like a average-looking kinda guy but with GREAT GREAT personality. Someone who you can sing along with and feel.
A lot of guys don't dig Taylor's song, well we all know why. They are never about the lyrics and ALL ABOUT THE MELODY. Oops! Am I generalizing here?

Anyway, for now, I'm in love with Colbie's album but I never get bored of all Taylor's song. I can sing along to Taylor's song anytime, anywhere.


COLBIE CAILLAT'S 'BREAKTHROUGH':


1. I Won't
I think this track serves as an excellent opening to the album.
One of my favourites in the album.

Gist of the song: "I won't give up on my love for you"

2. Begin Again
Absolutely my favourite song on the album (well at least for now). It's fast and fun to sing with.

Gist of the song: "Arguments is not the end of a relationship. Sometimes we hurt in other when we are angry, but maybe we don't mean the things we say. So, let's cool down and start over ;P"

3. You Got Me
Gist of the song: "Just how one dude captured her heart"

4. Falling for You
Colbie's first single from the album Breakthrough. This one is good, if not, we won't be driven to listen to the rest of the album.

Gist of the song: "I'm falling in love with someone and I'm not sure if my feelings for him is true. Do I know him well enough? And I'm wondering if I should tell him to because I don't know if he feels the same way."

5. Rainbow
Gist of the song: "A never ending search for love, no matter how far"

6. Droplets
This is not exactly a new song. Previously, Colbie has performed this track a couple of times with her close friend, Jason Reeves. Not surprising to have this one on the album.

Gist of the song: "Not sure about this one, but I think it's about walking away from a deeply imprinted love."

7. I Never Told You
Another one of my favourites in the album. Love the melody.

Gist of the song: "I never told you how much I love you and how I feel about being with you until I lose you"

8. Fearless
This one I love love love! The monotonous start of the song is great. I'd love to just sit alone, in darkness, on top of the world, looking above the city lights to this track. It makes you feel out of the world.

Gist of the song: "I'm not afraid of you leaving me. Go ahead"

9. Running Around
This is a fun song. Not bad.

Gist of the song: "I ran away from you but now I found that there's no one compared to you"

10. Break through
Gist of the song: "I want to breakthrough to you but the only way that's going to happen is that you will have to let me in"

11. It Stops Today
This is one song with lyrics I can appreciate personally, so I really like it.

Gist of the song: "I'll stop running away from my own problems. I'm taking the challenge to step out of my comfort zone, do something that I am afraid of doing before."

12. Breaking at the Cracks
Gist of the song: "Another song about heart-breaks"

13. What I Wanted to Say
Gist of the song: "Sometimes we are afraid to say the things we want to, for example "I love You" or "Please don't go". So we just hope that the other person know what we wanted to say because it is so hard for us to say the things we really want to say."

14. Out of My Mind
Gist of the song: "I make a wrong decision leaving a dude who loves me a lot and now I realized how much I love him too"

15. Don't Hold Me Down
Gist of the song: "Just don't hold me back from doing the things I wanna do and achieve."

16. Never Let You Go
Gist of the song: "I love you so much that no matter what happens, I will hang on to you, supporting you ;P"


TAYLOR SWIFT'S 'FEARLESS'


1. Fearless
Not exactly one of my favourite song by Taylor but well...

Gist of the song: "It's about the date Taylor never had"

2. Fifteen
Depending on how well you know me, if you know me very well, you'll know that this is one of MY MOST FAVOURITE SONG by Taylor. This is the song that will make me cry almost everytime I hear it. Apparently Taylor also cried when recording this one. I think it is a song that most girls can relate to - highschool and boys and life in general.

Gist of the song: "The challenges in a girls life, especially in highschool."

3. Love Story
Taylor's first single in the album. I was once crazy over it. It is like the song say, a fairy tale love story that all girls dream about, well at least I dream about ;P

Gist of the song: "A Romeo & Juliet love story with a happy ending"

4. Hey Stephen
This is another song I enjoy singing a lot. Taylor dedicates this song to, I believe one of her idol from the band Love and Theft, Stephen Barker Liles. She thinks he's cute and she penned a song for him. Well that's cool! lol

Gist of the song: "Taylor proclaiming her 'love' to Stephen. I believe everyone has their own Stephen who they want to dedicate this song to. For me, hmmm...all the hot dudes I've met before haha"

Stephen in green


5. White Horse
Taylor wrote this one for Joe Jonas who broke her heart. She cried while singing this during the music awards. I mean, no matter how dramatic you call her, I think she's just a vulnerable and insecured teen.

Gist of the song: "I'm moving on, you cheater! I'll find someone right for me someday and it's not you"

6. You Belong With Me
Another track I love from the album. The video is cool too, I mean, it won the Best Female Video award before Kanye did the stupid stunt to embarrass Taylor. But seriously, I understand why her video won. I mean, I thought it was a great video...Don't you?

Gist of the song: "Why can't you see that I am the one for you? Why do you even date a B****?"

7. Tell Me Why
Gist of the song: "Just mad with a guy who hurt her bad"

8. You're Not Sorry
This is one song I love but I don't have in my song list. Don't know why. Will get it in soon.

Gist of the song: "She is not believing the guy anymore. Though he said he is sorry, she know better. She is leaving because she doesn't want to hurt anymore"

9. The Way I Loved You
Gist of the song: "It's about a relationship and I think it's also about a fight with your boyfriend because you love each other too much?"

10. Forever & Always
Dedicated to Joe Jonas. No comment but I never really liked Joe even before he start dating Taylor. So, whatever.

Gist of the song: "You just never kept your promise about forever and always"

11. The Best Day
Another beautifully written song by Taylor. Love the lyrics to this one.

Gist of the song: "It's about how great your father is"

12. Change
I didn't know this until a few days back. This song is actually for the US sports team. So it's like an inspiration song to motivate them to never give up and you know, lift the spirits of sportsmanship.

Gist of the song: "Never give up. We'll win someday if we keep on fighting because things are constantly changing. On some days we might lose, but on others, we could be champions"

13. Crazier
Another absolute favourite that I'm crazy over. Ask my flatmates in UK and you'll know. This song has been repeating for hours in my room non-stop.

Gist of the song: "Just crazy in love over someone"


As you are probably now aware of, BOTH of them are fabulous. It's hard to choose. And the best is always to combine both of them...


So now, let me bring you "BREATHE" by Taylor Swift featuring Colbie Caillat.

I mean how can this piece suck? The first time the melody sweeps through my ear loops, I fell in love with it. It is about a relationship that has to end, because it has to. Well, I am not feeling the lyrics but I sure love the song. Enjoy.



Love,
TammyC

No comments:

Post a Comment