TAM-MY-MUSIC, MY-LIFE

"A melody is like seeing someone for the first time, the physical attraction, sex...but then, as you get to know the person, that's the lyrics, they're story, who they are underneath. It's the combination of the two that makes it magic" - Sophie

Thursday, February 25, 2010

FEELING THE CASTAWAYS

I've been driving and listening to my playlist on my modulator, thinking about the perfect song to write about. 
I have a few new songs that I love and I settled with this one because it is very meaningful.
Last week, I felt the sudden urge to relive my childhood memories and I sort of went Youtubing Disney cartoons.

I have very hazy memory on "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" and I decided to rewatch it. 


I had a friend who told me unlike many, she actually loves the songs from "The Hunchback of Notre Dame". To be fair, I can't give a fair comment then because honestly, I can't remember any songs from that cartoon. But after re-watching it and paying extra attention to the soundtrack, I totally get why my friend loves the songs. There were a few really touching and meaningful ones that had made an imprint.

"God Save the Outcast" is sung by Esmeralda in the cartoon Hunchback of Notredame.
Its lyrics aptly describe the pain and sadness of those people who were deemed not part of the norm or being considered outsiders due to their differences. 


The song obviously outlines one of the themes in the cartoon, which is the loneliness and the challenges faced by those considered outcasts by the society. The Hunchback of Notredame, Quasimodo, is different because of his ghastly appearance and his hunchback, while Esmeralda and his people were banished due to their gypsy status, being believe to practice dark magic that would harm people. 

If you are one of those who feels that you are alone because you are different, and you feel that no one cares for you, this song will definitely make you feel better because at the end of the day, you know that there could be a greater person out there looking over you.  

I don't know if You can hear me
Or if You are even there
I don't know if You'd listen
To a gypsy's prayer
Yes, I know I'm just an outcast
I shouldn't speak to You
Still I see you face and wonder
Were You once an outcast too?

Sometimes when you are so left out by society, you doubt if you are even worthy of love. The song reminds us that that no matter how cast out we are, or how we feel alone, one is still worthy of love. And I believe that there is always someone there. Besides, remember that Jesus was once an outcast too...

God help the outcast,
Hungry from birth
Show them the mercy
They don't find on Earth
God help my people
We look to You still
God help the outcast
Or nobody will

Not everyone is as lucky. In many ways, I consider myself very lucky, to an extend I feel that I might not know what it's like to have suffer adversities. But I really admire people who can still strive forward in the hardest of situations and continue to believe, hang on in life and not give up. This song is written as a reminder bell that we have to help those in need and try as much as possible not to boycott people who are different. Easier said than done actually but we do our best. 

I ask for wealth
I ask for fame
I ask for glory to shine on my name
I ask for love I can possess
I ask for God and his angels to bless me

I ask for nothing
I can get by
But I know so many
Less lucky than I
Please help my people 
The poor and down-trod
I thought we were all 
Children of God

God help the outcasts
The children of God....

People that have everything ask for more but those with nothing stay contented and just pray for things to get better. Some of them even consider themselves lucky and would pray for others. Hmmm I totally respect how some people can see things in such a different perspective and be still be so generous despite their own less fortunate situation. 

The cartoon itself is touching and this song brilliantly capture the essence and message of the whole Disney cartoon. Another meaningful work produced by the legendary Disney brand. I find that Hunchback is definitely not a bad cartoon, though it wasn't my favourite back in my childhood days. I love the message it convey; it's a really touching and inspirational movie.

Anyway, savour this song.



With Lotsa Love,
TammyC
Let's all try to be nicer and kinda to those who are different and let's all learn to be grateful of the blessings we get everyday. 




No comments:

Post a Comment