TAM-MY-MUSIC, MY-LIFE

"A melody is like seeing someone for the first time, the physical attraction, sex...but then, as you get to know the person, that's the lyrics, they're story, who they are underneath. It's the combination of the two that makes it magic" - Sophie

Saturday, January 23, 2010

YOU DECIDE HOW FAR

If you don't help yourself, no one else can.
Friends and the people around you can only do so much but it is you who determine where you will go, or where you are heading to. 

This is another meaningful song by Martina McBride. 



One the surface, she sings about how she is out there for the one she loves but that person wouldn't let her in. She wants to make a relationship work; and by that, it means opening up and communicating with each other. You know how it is, for a relationship to work, both parties have to be open and talk to each other. And when one shuts themselves, it will be hard. So basically I guess McBride is singing about how she's trying to hang on to a relationship, trying to make it work but her partner just isn't giving the necessary support because he is closing in to only himself.

There's a boat, I could sail away
There's the sky, I could catch a plane
There's a train, there's the tracks
I could leave and I could choose to not come back
Oh never come back

There you are, giving up the fight
Here I am begging you to try
Talk to me, let me in
But you just put your wall back up again
Oh when's it gonna end

[Chorus:]
How far do I have to go to make you understand
I wanna make this work so much it hurts, but I just can't
Keep on giving, go on living with the way things are
So I'm gonna walk away
And it's up to you to say how far

There's a chance I could change my mind
But I won't, not till you decide
What you want, what you need
Do you even care if I stay or leave
Oh, what's it gonna be

[Chorus]

Out of this chair, or just across the room
Halfway down the block or halfway to the moon

How far do I have to go to make you understand
I wanna make this work so much it hurts, but I just can't
Keep on giving, go on living with the way things are
So I'm gonna walk away
And it's up to you to say
YeahI'm gonna walk away
And it's up to you to say how far 


But I would also argue that it's a song about you, yourself, standing up again because sometimes, when you feel so let down or disappointed, you lose the will to fight back and move on in life.

Your loved ones are always there for you, but they can only go so far as to help you because ultimately, it is only us who can bring ourselves back. Your family and friends are there to help you hang in there but if you just won't let them in, you are slowing shoving them away from your life.  

It's just another great track that I think country music fans would enjoy haha.
Martina McBride is really a great singer you know. One of my favourites.


CLICK HERE for the real video.


With Lotsa Lurve,
TammyC trying to go far...

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete